If you don’t know how to overcome
procrastination, it quickly can start robbing you of time. At one
point or another, most of us have suffered from procrastination.
In many cases, it can even bring about serious consequences and make you feel miserable. It’s important to realize that overcoming procrastination can be difficult, since there are many factors that can cause you to procrastinate.
However, if you can identify and understand the reasons you are procrastinating and the negative results this action brings, you can get on your way to overcoming it.
Here is a closer look at procrastination and some excellent strategies you can use to overcome this problem in your life.
Before you can start taking steps that help you figure out how to overcome procrastination, you first need to understand why you’re procrastinating. There are several different reasons you may be procrastinating and the reasons are unique to every individual. Sometimes you may procrastinate because you feel that the task to be done is overwhelming or difficult. Many people dread certain tasks and avoid them with procrastination.
One reason that some people have a hard time overcoming procrastination is due to fear. Many different fears may stand in the way of you taking care of important tasks in your life. Maybe you fear the unknown – you’re unsure of what will happen. Perhaps you’re dealing with the fear of change. Some people find change difficult to deal with, which keeps them from learning how to overcome procrastination. Others have a fear of failure, which keeps them from trying since they are so afraid they will fail.
Some of the other reasons you may be procrastinating include perfectionism, disorganization, need for help, lack of energy and even emotional avoidance. Look carefully at these reasons and try to figure out which ones may be affecting you. Once you realize and understand why you are procrastinating, then you can go on to learn more about how to overcome procrastination.
It’s easy to joke around about overcoming procrastination and you may even feel that this fault is benign. However, there can be some serious consequences and results when you procrastinate.
Failing to learn how to overcome procrastination can quickly affect your overall quality of life. Opportunities and benefits may pass you by, leaving you without options to better your life.
If you put off important medical checkups, serious medical problems can creep up and leave you with a deadly disease. If you procrastinate and fail to purchase life insurance, something may happen to you and leave your family in serious financial trouble. While every action has consequences, you also need to realize that inaction also can come with serious consequences, which is why you must learn how to rise above procrastination in your life.
Now that you understand more about why you’re procrastinating and some of the negative results it can bring, you’re prepared to learn how to overcome procrastination. Here are some simple steps you can follow to conquer this fault.
- Step #1 – Use Visualization to Help You – One step to overcoming procrastination is to use visualization to help you complete tasks. Think about what will happen when you finish the task and the success and benefits you’ll enjoy. Then, visualize working hard on the task you need to accomplish, which will help you change the attitude you have about taking on the task.
- Step #2 – Use Brainstorming to Your Advantage – Sometimes you may procrastinate because you feel stuck on a task you’re working on. Brainstorming can help you break through your mental block and get new energy that will help you complete the task.
- Step #3 – Try Committing Publicly – When you know someone is watching you, it’s easier to begin overcoming procrastination. Tell someone else what you want to achieve, which will help give you the motivation needed.
- Step #4 – Take it Step by Step – Taking the project or task step by step can help you to get it done. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed when you dive right into a huge task. Break it up into steps that are simple and small, which will keep you from feeling overwhelmed as you work to accomplish the task.
- Step #5 – Take Just 10 Minutes – If you keep procrastinating and putting off a task, make yourself sit down and work on it for just 10 minutes. Even if it’s stressful or unpleasant, dedicating 10 minutes to the task isn’t too bad. Once that time is up, you can go on to something else. In many cases, you’ll find that you want to finish the task instead of pushing it off again.
These helpful steps can help you as you learn how to overcome procrastination. Start applying them to your life and to the list of things you’ve been putting off. It doesn’t have to be difficult to rise above procrastination to success. Simply making some small changes can have huge results that will help you create a more fulfilling life.SELF IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM › HABITS › PROCRASTINATION